Saturday, November 14, 2009

Something Old, Something New

Having reached my three score and seven, I have pretty much given up on contemporary music. Hell, with the exception of Carly Simon, I gave up on contemporary music something over four decades ago. I have always thought that decision to have been a good one...until last week.

I was listening to Wake Up With Wogan on BBC's Radio Two. He's probably the best I've ever heard in morning radio (and I've heard and know some great ones), but next month he's retiring, even though he is clearly still at the top of his game. The Beeb is giving him some sort of weekly show, so that the next young bucko can come into the morning and try to hold onto Wogan's very large audience.

But I digress.

Last week, I was in my office working on some orders while I listened to Wogan, and he played a song called "Story." I couldn't quite figure out the lyrics, but the performance and arrangement knocked me over. I couldn't quite get the name of the artist, so I checked the play list on the BBC's web-site (thank you, thank you), and I found that the artist is Leddra Chapman (aka Anna Leddra-Chapman in some places), and she writes her own material. Based on what I've heard, she's off to a great start.

Her first album comes out later this month in the UK, and so, after all these years, I've succumbed - again - to the blandishments of the music of the young and talented and happily so.
Have a look-see and a listen....

Postscript: I downloaded a couple of tracks from her MySpace web-site, burned them to a CD, and I have found great pleasure in listening to them over and over as I drive around. Either some element of my own youth has been reawakened, or I am losing it sooner than I thought I would. But I'm reasonably certain it's the former.

I said reasonably.

Bottom line is that her CD will be out in the states next month, and when I'm across the pond for Christmas, guess what CD I'll be looking for....and hoping for printed copies of her lyrics to be included?


.



I'd be interested in hearing your reactions....
And if you think I've slipped my moorings, I'd like to hear that, too.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello
I work with Leddra and love the way you heard her so far away via Radio 2. She'll be thrilled you liked Story. I hope you don't mind me sharing some information with you?

There are more tracks on her myspace:
www.myspace.com/leddrachapman

And Leddra regularly Twitters at twitter.com/leddrachapman

Kind Regards
Neil

Nicholas Nash said...

Dear Neil:

The web never ceases to amaze. Thanks for writing and for the additional info.

Truth is the first time I heard "Story" I was - well, to use a word from your country - gobsmacked, a condition I have found myself in only rarely....

ndn

Purple Raider53 said...

What a gorgeous voice. I didn't understand the video in the least. But I never do. (And the commercial stuff running on the bottom of it is annoying in the extreme.)

But the voice is that of an angel. Good discovery, doctor.